Chances are if you’ve found this post through the Innisfree Village website or facebook page, you’re a service-minded individual which is exactly what the MLK Jr. Day of Service is all about. It’s about finding opportunities in your local community to give back, and setting aside a few minutes or an hour or the entire day to helping others. From cooking meals to playing games and going on walks or helping a coworker problem-solve, Innisfree volunteers are constantly in service to others which is why this day is so important to us. There are many ways to get involved today, so here are some ideas from the local community to help you celebrate!
- Soup for Seniors: “We invite you, your family and friends to serve this season by purchasing a few cans of non-perishable food items, or starting a food collection at your business, community group, place of worship or neighborhood. Items being collected are: canned meat, canned fish, canned fruit, canned vegetables, soup & stew, crackers & shelf-stable milk. Food benefits JABA’s Food Bag Program, which provides monthly food bags to seniors in need of food assistance. Food is picked up or dropped off at JABA on MLK Day, January 18, 2016 between 9am-12.”
- Mountainside Assisted Living: “Mountainside Assisted Living in Crozet needs your help with a wide range of activity support for residents: crafts, outdoor activities, doing puzzles, playing games, running trivia contests, or just conversation. Both weekday AND weekend slots need to be filled and the time of day is up to you. “
- Rosewood Village: “Share your creative talent with the residents of Rosewood Village at 500 Greenbrier Drive in Charlottesville. What is your passion? Painting? Working with clay? Collage-building? Something else? Share your passion and create more than a painting or a sculpture….you’ll create happiness and a sense of accomplishment.”
More general ideas:
- plant a tree
- read to the elderly in a nursing home
- support local food banks
- organize a used clothing drive
- serve food at a homeless shelter
- hand out hygiene kits to the homeless (toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, etc.)
- cook with a friend
- volunteer at a community garden
- pick up trash in your neighborhood
- Share tweets and posts from the official MLK day facebook and twitter
Check in with our Facebook page to see what we’re up to on Monday, January 18th!